Tomato, Olive, and Rosemary Crustless Quiche
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 5 min
- 15 min
- 1 hr
- 50 min
- 1 (9-inch) quiche, 6 to 8 servings
- 4 cups grape tomatoes, mixed red and yellow if possible, rinsed and patted dry
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives, such as kalamata, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch, day-old) bread cubes, preferably sourdough
- 1 cup chopped white onion, about 1 medium
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces grated Emmentaler cheese, about 3/4 cup
- 3 ounces grated fontina cheese, about 3/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spread the tomatoes out in a single layer on a shallow baking pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast on the top rack for 15 minutes. Add the olives, and continue to roast until the tomato skins are dark brown, black in spots, about 10 minutes more. Remove from oven, and reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
Meanwhile, pulse bread into crumbs in a food processor. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add bread crumbs and stir until evenly toasted, about 5 minutes. Evenly spread crumbs in a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onions, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, over medium-high heat until translucent and starting to brown; add lemon zest and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Whisk half-and-half, eggs and yolks in large glass measuring cup. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Evenly spread the onions in the prepared pan. Combine the cheeses and scatter over the onions. Top with the roasted tomatoes and olives, and sprinkle with rosemary. Pour the custard over the fillings.
Bake until the quiche is just set in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.