- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped, plus leaves for topping
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Madras-style curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Creme fraiche, fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts, for topping
Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, 2 more minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, brown sugar and 1 cup water to the pot, then whisk in the peanut butter until incorporated. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender in batches.Season with salt and black pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls; top with creme fraiche, celery leaves, cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with olive oil.
Photograph by Con Poulos
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls, Grandma Neely's Fried Pork Chop Vegetable Soup, Oyster Rockefeller Soup garnished with Crispy Bacon and Fried Oysters, Heart Healthy Recipes, Carrot Soup Recipes, Tortilla Soup Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Lobster Bisque Recipes, Healthy Brunch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.