- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- About a dozen corn tortilla chips, broken a bit
- Lime wedges, optional
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chipotle, chili powder, and salt and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes more.
Pull the saucepan from the heat and stir in the tomato, chicken, cilantro, and lime juice. Divide the tortilla chips among 4 warmed bowls, ladle the soup on top, and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Know-How Get every last drop of juice from those little limes. Before halving, microwave them for a few seconds and roll them under the palm of your hand to release the juice from the pulp.
Add a swirl of chile and homey tortillas to comforting chicken soup and you have a bold hug of a meal.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.