Turkey French Dip Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 pounds skin-on, boneless turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 mini baguettes (or 6-inch sections of baguette), split
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Rub the turkey breast with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the turkey, skin-side down, and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook 2 more minutes. Reduce the heat to medium high; add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the turkey is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes, then slice.
Preheat the broiler. Drizzle the cut sides of the bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Arrange the bread bottoms on a baking sheet; top each with a slice of cheese. Broil until melted, about 1 minute. Top with the turkey, vegetables and some of the pan juices, then cover with the bread tops. Serve with more pan juices for dipping.
Per serving: Calories 720; Fat 32 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 149 mg; Sodium 1,373 mg; Carbohydrate 40 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 64 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.