Turkey Meatloaf Squares with Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (preferably whole-wheat)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions or chives
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pierce the sweet potatoes all overwith a fork and microwave until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine the turkey, onion, panko and egg in a bowl. Add half each of the ketchup, hoisin sauce and ginger and season with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined. Form into a 9-by-11-inch rectangle on the prepared baking sheet. Mix the remaining ketchup, hoisin sauce and ginger in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons water; brush over the meat. Bake until golden and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil until the glaze is just caramelized, 1 to 2 minutes.
Mix the butter, half of the scallions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Split the potatoes and top with the scallion butter. Slice the meatloaf and serve with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions.
Per serving: Calories 414; Fat 14 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 134 mg; Sodium 933 mg; Carbohydrate 46 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 28 g
Photograph by Justin Walker