Turkey Picadillo Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 6 -ounce can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives, plus 2 tablespoons olive juice
- 4 soft sesame buns or Portuguese rolls, split
- Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and allspice; toast 1 to 2 minutes. Add the turkey, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cook about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat.
Add the tomato paste and stir until brick red, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups water, the raisins, olives and olive juice. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 484; Fat 16 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 944 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 43 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.