Turkey Tacos Picadillo
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 25 min
- 35 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Oil, for frying
- 12 (5-inch) corn tortillas, preferably white, or prepared taco shells
- 1/4 head romaine or iceberg, thinly sliced
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 to 2 Hass avocados, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, for garnish
Put the oil, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and spices in a medium skillet, season with salt and cook over medium to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until tender, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the tomatoes and boil to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in the turkey and chicken broth, adjust the heat so the mixture simmers and cook until the turkey is cooked through and the mixture thickens but is not dry, about 12 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover.
To make the taco shells: Pour enough frying oil into a small skillet so it's about 3/4 of an inch deep; heat over medium to medium-high. Holding 1 edge of a tortilla with tongs, lay the other half in the oil, keeping it flat with a spatula. Cook until crisp, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip the tortilla over and repeat with the other half, holding the first side of the tortilla at an angle to make an open shell, cook for about 1 minute more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Put the fixings and meat in individual bowls and the taco shells on a platter. Serve, encouraging your diners to build their own tacos, with meat in the shell and the fixings on top.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens