Vegan Lentil Burgers
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchen
These burgers are packed with flavor, fiber and protein while still being low in fat. We love them grilled, but you can also pan-fry them[: Heat 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and fry patties until well browned, about 2 minutes per side. (Remember: The extra oil will alter the calorie and fat totals.)]
- 3/4 cup brown lentils, rinsed, strained and picked through
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, half finely chopped and half thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 6 whole-grain vegan hamburger buns
- Baby arugula, basil, roasted red bell peppers and spicy mustard, for serving, optional
Bring the lentils and 1 3/4 cup of the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the lentils are fully softened and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon broth and mash well with a potato masher. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the spinach, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper and cumin and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add the spinach mixture, breadcrumbs, walnuts and 3/4 teaspoon salt to the lentils and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Form the mixture into six 4-inch patties and spray with cooking spray on each side. Grill until nice grill marks form, about 3 minutes per side. Place the patties in the buns with the sliced onion and other toppings, as desired, and serve.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.