- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 rib celery, sliced (3/4 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (1 1/4 cups or 5 1/4 ounces)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (1/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, cleaned and coarsely chopped or shredded (7 1/2 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread (about 1/2 loaf)
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino-Romano
In a soup pot or Dutch oven heat the 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, zucchini, carrots, garlic, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft and juicy, about 10 minutes. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, basil, and marjoram and season again with salt and pepper. Cook until cabbage is just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and vegetable broth, and adjust the heat to simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Remove the rosemary sprig. Stir in the bread and spinach, increase the heat to medium and cook until the soup thickens, about 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into warm bowls. Top with cheese and a little drizzle extra-virgin olive oil.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.