French Dip Steak Sandwiches with Horseradish Sauce
- Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Au Jus:
- 1 1/2 cups French onion soup
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Olive oil, for the grill pan
- 1 boneless rib-eye steak (about 8 ounces, 1-inch thick)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small baguettes, split in half lengthwise
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
For the horseradish sauce: Combine the sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate to develop the flavors.
For the au jus: Combine the onion soup, beef broth, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and 3/4 cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Taste and season with pepper and more salt if needed. Strain the mixture and discard the onions (if there were any in the soup.) Cover and keep warm.
For the steak: Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Oil the grill pan if needed. Season the steak with salt and lots of black pepper. Grill the steak for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steak rest, then thinly slice.
Spread the horseradish sauce on one side of each baguette. Dip the steak slices in the warm au jus and place on top of the bread with horseradish sauce, then place the other slices of bread on top. Transfer the remaining au jus to two dipping bowls and serve with the sandwiches for dipping.
Recipe by Brandon Scawthorn, winner of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off
Contestant/Competition Recipe: This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe by Brandon Scawthorn