- 2 quarts peanut oil
- 1 pound mozzarella
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound Parmesan, finely shredded
- Bamboo skewers, soaked for 30 minutes or metal with heat resistant gloves
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound blackberries
Heat the peanut oil in a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot to 375 degrees F.
Cut the mozzarella into 1/2 by 1/2 by 2-inch strips and wrap them with prosciutto. Mix the flour, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika together in a bowl. Add the buttermilk and egg and whisk until combined. In a shallow bowl, combine the panko and finely shredded Parmesan.
Insert skewers into the mozzarella, dip them into the batter, then coat them with the panko mixture.
Deep-fry, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes. Transfer the mozzarella to a serving platter.
Combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients, except the blackberries, in a medium bowl. Mash the blackberries through a metal strainer to remove the seeds.
Mix the blackberry juice into the dipping sauce and serve with the cheese sticks.
- A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.