German Wedding Cake
- Butter, for greasing pan
- All-purpose flour, for dusting pan
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen and thawed whole cherries, pitted and minced
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar simmered, then cooled)
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups fresh or frozen and thawed whole cherries, pitted
- Chopped chocolate
For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions.
In a large bowl, combine the cake batter with the coconut and pecans. Stir until just mixed.
Pour half the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with the cherry mixture. Pour the remaining cake batter over top and smooth lightly. Bake the cake according to package instructions, about 35 minutes, adding a few minutes. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clear of batter. Let the cake cool a few minutes before slicing.
For the garnish: In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and butter over medium-low heat. When the cream is just up to a simmer, remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.