- 1/2 baguette loaf, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Bibb or butterhead lettuce, leaves torn
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 packed cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/3 packed cup mint leaves, chopped
For the crostini: Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden. In a small bowl, using a fork, mix the butter and cheese together until smooth.
For the salad: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil until combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place the lettuce, fennel, basil, and mint in a salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
To serve: Spread the Parmesan butter on the toasted bread and serve alongside the salad.