Chinese Turkey Salad
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- One 3 to 3 1/2-pound bone-in, skinless turkey half-breast
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 10 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Cook's Note)
- One 1-pound head romaine, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage (8 ounces), shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
For the turkey: In a 4 or 5-quart saucepan, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, orange juice, garlic and ginger. Add the turkey, breast-side down, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees F, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the turkey cool for 20 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into 2-inch pieces.
For the wontons: In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer, a cube of bread should brown in about 4 minutes.) Add the wontons and fry until golden, 30 to 45 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, orange juice, sesame seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
For the salad: In a large salad bowl, toss together the almonds, romaine, iceberg lettuce, Napa cabbage, scallions and bell pepper. Add the dressing and the shredded turkey and toss until coated. Garnish with the fried wontons and serve.
Cook's Note: To toast the almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven until lightly toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before using.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Smoked Turkey Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts, Smoked Turkey And Black-Eyed Pea Salad, Turkey-Mixed Greens Salad with Strawberries, Kiwi and Cashews in Honey-Sesame Dressing, Salad Dressing, Roasted Vegetable Recipes, Turkey Gravy Recipes, Cucumber, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Easy Snack
Thank you! your flag was submitted.