- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pasteurized egg white product (recommended: All Whites)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Add the mascarpone cheese, oi, and vanilla and mix well. With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat for 1 minute until the mixture forms a thick batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack, about 2 hours.
For the icing: In a large bowl, using a high powered hand mixer on medium speed, beat the egg white product until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until the mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually beat in the sugar. With the mixer running on low speed, drizzle the coffee into the egg whites (the mixture will become liquid). Increase the speed to high and beat for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and thick. Place the icing in a serving bowl.
Cook's Note: In place of the brewed coffee, use 1/4 cup hot water mixed with 1 tablespoon of instant coffee granules.