Christmas Seafood Salad (Cappon Magro)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a large lemon)
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 1/3-inch-thick ovals
- One 1 3/4-pound cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 pounds cod fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 pounds small clams, such as Manilla, scrubbed
- 1 1/4 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Twelve 1/3-inch-thick slices country-style bread (such as Pan Rustique), toasted
- 3 cooked beets, cut into 6 to 8 wedges
- Lemon wedges
For the vegetables: Add enough cold water to a heavy large pot to reach a depth of 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and add the salt. Add the green beans, carrots and cauliflower. Cook until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables and place in a bowl to cool.
For the seafood: Add the wine to the vegetable cooking water. Adjust the heat so the liquid is barely simmering. Add the cod and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cod and set aside. Add the clams and shrimp to the pot. Cover and cook until all the clams have opened and the shrimp are cooked through and opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any unopened clams. Remove the pot from the heat.
To assemble the salad: Arrange the carrots, green beans and cauliflower on a large platter. Arrange the shrimp, clams and cod on top. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Arrange the lemon wedges and beets around the edge of the platter
Serve the cappon magro with toasted bread and the remaining dressing alongside.
Cook's Note: To cook beets, place them in a medium saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water until the beets are covered. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the beets are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Peel the beets under cold running water and cut each into 6 or 8 wedges. Alternatively, place the beets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high power until tender, about 15 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.