Gruyere and Spinach Bakes
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two 1/2-to-3/4-inch-thick slices country-style bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 6 large eggs, beaten, at room temperature
- 2 packed cups chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated gruyere (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- Special equipment: four 10-ounce ramekins
Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Spray four 10-ounce ramekins with vegetable oil cooking spray.
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add the pancetta and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove the pancetta using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the shallots, salt and pepper in the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
Spoon the mixture into the ramekins. Place the ramekins on a small baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Cool the ramekins for 20 minutes. Using a paring knife, loosen the edges of the ramekins and unmold onto serving plates. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis