- 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless leg of lamb
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup water or chicken broth
- Special Equipment: kitchen string, meat thermometer
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season the meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the herbs with the olive oil and bread crumbs. Rub both sides of the lamb with the herb mixture. Using the kitchen string, tie up the lamb leg at 2-inch intervals. Place in roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Add the wine and water or broth to the roasting pan and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the thickest part of the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F for medium. Take the lamb out of the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let the meat rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.