- Butter, for greasing molds
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup yellow cake mix (recommended: Betty Crocker Supermoist Butter Recipe)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Special equipment: 12 (3-inch) nonstick madeleine molds
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 12 madeleine molds liberally with butter. Dust with flour and set aside.
Batter: In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cake mix, butter, honey, water, lemon zest, and almond extract. Beat the ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until the batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Spoon the batter into the prepared molds. Bake until the edges are golden and the center of the cookies spring back when touched, about 15 to 16 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Using a small rubber spatula, remove the madeleines and arrange, scalloped side up, on a wire rack. Cool for 15 minutes and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis