Mashed Potatoes with Kale
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 4 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 12-ounce bunch kale, stemmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
For the potatoes: Combine the potatoes, garlic, salt and butter in a 5-quart saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and remove the garlic cloves. Return the potatoes to the pan and mash the potatoes until smooth using a potato masher.
For the kale: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the kale and chicken broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 10 to 12 minutes.
To assemble: Add the kale mixture, mascarpone cheese, chicken broth, butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper to the potatoes. Stir over low heat until smooth and warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen