Quinoa and Purple Potato Salad
- 12 ounces purple Peruvian potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pitted medium black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 2 to 3 large limes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
For the quinoa: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring the chicken broth, quinoa, and garlic to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic and discard. Using a fork, fluff the quinoa and place in a large serving bowl. Add the peas and the cooked potatoes.
Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss well until coated.
Cook's Note: The potatoes can also be steamed in a steamer basket for 15 minutes until tender.