- 1 pound rotelle pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages, cooked, cooled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning
For the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Place the pasta in a large bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the carrots begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the orange juice, zucchini and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until the juice thickens and the zucchini is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini mixture to the pasta.
For the dressing: Whisk together the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the pasta. Add the tomatoes and sausage slices and toss until coated. Season with salt.