Whole Wheat Fettuccine with Roasted Tomatoes, Peas and Fresh Mozzarella
- Roasted Tomatoes:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups grape or small cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound whole wheat or brown rice fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as pinot noir
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- One 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and diced, or 8 ounces ciliengine, drained
For the tomatoes: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a heavy baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray, and set aside.
Toss the tomatoes, oil and salt together. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the skins blister and turn dark brown in places, 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the fettuccine: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
In a blender, combine the red wine, 1 teaspoon salt, the red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic, canned tomatoes (plus juices). Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 20 minutes.
Toss together the pasta, tomato sauce, roasted tomatoes, peas and chopped basil. Arrange the cheese on top and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.