Green Duck Chili
- 1 (5 to 6-pound) duck
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 7 tablespoons Jan's Special spice, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 poblano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles, chopped
- 2 corn tortillas, fried crisp or 8 tortilla chips
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions, for garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- Jan's Special Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Remove the duck meat from the bones. Remove the skin from the meat. Cut the meat into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork, cook until browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the chopped garlic and duck meat, cook until duck is browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with ground spice mix, masa harina and flour. Cook, stirring, until flour is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the beer, onions, red pepper, poblanos and jalapeno. Lower the heat to medium, add the chicken stock and chopped canned green chiles.
Crumble the tortillas or corn chips into a blender. Ladle out enough of the chili liquid to cover the tortillas in the blender. Blend until smooth. Add back to chili. Simmer until duck is tender, about 1 hour. Season, to taste, with salt. Keep on simmer until serving.
Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve, garnished with scallions and sour cream.Jan's Special Spice Mix:
Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Add cumin and coriander, cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder, grind to a powder and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in remaining spices.