- 1/2 cup medium grind Italian Roast coffee
- 1/2 cup black peppercorns, freshly cracked
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 11/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 11/2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 (1 1/2 to 2-inch) thick New York strip steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces stout
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
To cook, heat oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking. Add steaks and sear 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. Use 2pans if needed. Remove steaks to a baking dish and finish cooking in the oven until desired doneness. Remove to a cutting board or platter and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, bring stout to a simmer in a small saucepan and reduce by about 1/3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. After steaks have rested, pour any juices from the cutting board into the sauce, and serve with steaks.