- 1 package fresh pizza dough, single pizza size
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, small dice
- 1 small eggplant, skin-on, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ricotta, drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, for peel
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Pizza stone preheated in oven
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Put a pizza stone on the bottom shelf of the oven to preheat.
Remove the dough from the packaging and let rest on a lightly floured surface.
In a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat, add the prosciutto and cook until crisp. Remove from pan to a plate and set aside.
Season the eggplant with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the pan over medium heat and saute the eggplant for 5 to 6 minutes. Add in the garlic and the red pepper flakes. Saute 2 to 3 minutes more, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let sauce reduce until all the extra liquid is gone, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a small bowl add the remaining egg and 1 teaspoon water and beat well.
Knead the dough a few times on a floured surface and add in the dried oregano and rosemary. Cut the dough in half and roll 1 piece into an oval about 12 to 14 inches long and 8 inches wide. Put the dough on a peel sprinkled with cornmeal and add half of the ricotta/eggplant mixture half way down the oval, leaving 2 inches on each side. Top with 3 slices of the mozzarella and sprinkle with half of the prosciutto.
Repeat with the other half of the dough and ingredients. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, serve hot!