- 3-pound beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 cups water, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups enchilada sauce, store-bought
- 24 tamale husks
- 2 cups masa harina (fine corn flour)
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
Cilantro Sour Cream:
- 1 container sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In medium braising pot, simmer beef in salt and 3 cups water for 1 hour or until meat can be shredded with a fork. Shred beef and let it cool completely.
Soak husks in water for 30 minutes.
Mix masa, water, butter and salt into a thick paste.
Apply 5 tablespoons of the masa mix into the center of the corn husk. Push mix to 1-inch of the side of the husk. Add 2 tablespoons of the meat to center, fold 1 edge of the husk to the center, and then fold the other side to cover entire tamale. Fold ends over by 2-inches.
Place a colander in large pot of boiling water, but do not let the colander touch the water. Place the tamales in the colander, cover and allow steam to rise to the top. Steam the tamales for 30 to 40 minutes.