Sangria with Winter Citrus
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1 ruby grapefruit, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 blood or regular orange, thinly sliced
- 1 Bosc pear, cored and diced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Three 750ml bottles medium-bodied red wine, such as malbec, rioja or sangiovese
- 1 cup grappa
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 4 cups chilled club soda
Begin by macerating the fruit. Add half of the apples, grapefruit, lemon, blood orange and pears to a large pitcher and squeeze the lemon juice on top. Muddle the fruit using a wooden spoon. Add the remaining half of the fruits. Pour over the red wine, grappa, orange liqueur and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours, or overnight if time allows. Add the orange juice and simple syrup, and then top off with the chilled club soda before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.