- Canola oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 shallots, sliced, separate the rings
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 6 ounces andouille sausage (about 2 links), diced
- 12 scallops, cleaned, dried
- 1/2 small head radicchio, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 head butter lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1/2 head frisee, torn
- 3 chives, minced
In a heavy skillet, heat about 2 inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, add the flour and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the sliced shallots in the flour and shake off any excess. Fry the shallots until golden brown and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
Whisk together, the sherry vinegar, and Dijon mustard in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil. Season dressing, to taste, with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and saute until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove the sausage to a paper towel lined plate.
Season the scallops with salt and pepper, to taste, and add to the pan that was used for the andouille was cooked in. Sear the scallops until caramelized on both sides, no more than 2 or 3 minutes per side.
Toss all the greens in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each salad with 3 scallops and garnish with the sausage, chives and the fried shallots.