Hip-Hip-Hooray Chicken Satay
- Chicken Skewers:
- 12 ounces raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes black pepper
- 1/3 cup plain light soymilk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium or lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
Cook's Note: If grilling, presoak 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (Or bring a grill/grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat.)
Sprinkle chicken with curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Evenly cut chicken into 12 strips, and thread each strip onto a skewer. Place the skewers on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray, and bake in the oven until chicken is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. (Or grill until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. If using a grill pan, remove from heat and re-spray between batches.)
Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients except yogurt in a small nonstick pot. Bring to medium-low heat on the stove. Stirring constantly, cook until it's hot and well mixed, about 5 minutes.
Remove sauce from the heat and let it cool slightly. Add the yogurt and stir until smooth and blended. Serve the sauce with chicken skewers, spoon it on, and EAT!
PER SERVING (2 skewers with sauce): 109 calories, 2.75g fat, 269mg sodium, 4.5g carbs, 0.25g fiber, 2g sugars, 15.5g protein
2011 Hungry Girl. All Rights Reserved.