- 1 (8.5 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 Anaheim pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 serrano pepper, roasted, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup grilled or roasted fresh corn kernels
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pilsner-style beer, room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 quart corn oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Agave Butter, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, add the cornbread mix, peppers, corn kernels, the egg, beer and cheese. Stir with a fork to just combine and let sit for 7 minutes.
Heat the oil, (3 to 4 inches deep), in a heavy pan or Dutch oven to 365 degrees F.
Using 2 large soupspoons, drop the mixture, in batches into the hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a wire rack lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt when still hot. Put the baking sheet in a warm oven, if not serving right away, or serve immediately with Spicy Agave Butter.