- 3 pounds red new potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/4 pound unsalted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half and butter.Put the potatoes into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix the potatoes for a few seconds on low speed, to break them up. Slowly add the hot cream and butter to the potatoes, mixing on the lowest speed (the last quarter of the cream should be folded in by hand). Fold in the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, the remaining salt, and pepper; taste for seasoning and serve immediately. If the potatoes are too thick, add more hot cream and butter.