Provencal French Beans
- 14 ounces dried Great Northern beans
- 1 quart homemade chicken stock or canned broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 1 cup medium-diced carrots (2 carrots)
- 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Place the beans in a bowl and cover with water. Soak in the refrigerator overnight.
Drain the beans, place in a large saucepan with the chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Add 1 tablespoon of salt for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving the stock.
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil, then add the onions, diced carrots, and celery, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Add the parsley, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and cook for 1 more minute. Add the beans and 2 cups of the cooking stock. (If you dont have enough liquid, add additional stock or water to make 2 cups.) Cook for 15 minutes until the stock makes a little sauce, adding more stock if necessary. Finish with the Parmesan cheese. Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley.
Copyright 2010, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved