Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces plus 6 ounces Hershey's semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, such as Nescafe
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 to 6 ounces good caramel sauce, such as Fran's
- 2 to 3 teaspoons flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan.
Melt the butter, 8 ounces of the chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate together in a medium bowl set over simmering water. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, sift together 1/2 cup of the flour, the baking powder, and salt and add to the chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 6 ounces of chocolate chips and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour in a medium bowl and add them to the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Don't overbake!
As soon as the brownies are out of the oven, place the jar of caramel sauce without the lid in a microwave and heat just until it's pourable. Stir until smooth. Drizzle the caramel evenly over the hot brownies and sprinkle with the sea salt. Cool completely and cut into 12 bars.
2012, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved