Artichokes, Asparagus, and Watercress Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For the salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) can artichoke hearts in water, drained and halved
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
To prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the vinegar mustard, cumin, and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Whisk to blend. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, mixing until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Set aside.
To prepare the salad: Fill a medium bowl with 2 cups of ice cubes and cover with cold water. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and blanch until tender but not mushy, about 3 minutes. Drain the asparagus in a colander and transfer to the ice water bath to stop the cooking. Drain again and place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Cut the asparagus stalks into thirds.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the blanched asparagus, parsley, artichokes, tomatoes, and watercress. Whisk the vinaigrette to combine and pour over the salad. Toss to coat and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008