- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into pieces
- 3 large carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
To prepare the oregano vinaigrette: In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Slowly add oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Set aside.
To prepare the salad: To blanch the asparagus, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then drop the asparagus spears in for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on their size. Remove from the water and "shock" them briefly in a bath of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the green color. Drain thoroughly. Repeat the same process with blanching the green beans, cooing a little longer, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Place a small pile of salad mix in the center of 6 small plates. Build a campfire stack by arranging 4 or 5 asparagus spears leaning against each other over the salad. Drizzle a little vinaigrette on each stack and serve.
If taking to a picnic, keep salad mix and vinaigrette separate until ready to serve, then mix and plate.
Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008