Farmers' Market Roasted Vegetable Salad-Stuffed Avocados
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch rounds and rounds cut in 1/2
- 1 medium zucchini cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (2 to 3 tablespoons juice and 1 tablespoon zest)
- 1 ear fresh corn, husk and silk removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Mixed greens or arugula, optional
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, zucchini, squash, and red pepper. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread in 1 layer on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, set aside to cool.
Remove the corn kernels by standing the cob on a plate or in a wide shallow bowl. Set the blade of a small, sharp knife at the juncture of the kernels and cob. Slice downward to remove the kernels. Repeat this procedure, working your way around the cob, until all the kernels are removed. Set aside.
Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit, leaving the skin on. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent avocados from discoloring.
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008