Shredded Steak with Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes (Ropa Vieja)
- 6 pounds flank steak
- 3/4 cup Delicioso Adobo seasoning, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 bottles beer
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, ribbed and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, ribbed and chopped
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Delicioso Adobo:
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons achoite powder from annatto seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
Cut the flank steak into large pieces and place them in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the adobo and the Worcestershire sauce to make a paste. Rub the paste into the meat, add the beer, and let marinate for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
Transfer the meat, as well as the marinade to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the meat is tender, about 3 hours.
Remove the meat from the pot and reserve the cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, shred the meat and set it aside.
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, scallions, and tomatoes and cook until they are soft, 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and meat to the pan along with 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Cover and simmer until the juices cook down, about 15 minutes.Delicioso Adobo:
Combine all ingredients.
Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen