- 1 1/2 quarts peanut oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers, drained or 3/4 cup fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Paula Deen's Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce, for dipping, optional
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven.
Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd; leave room for the hushpuppies to be turned. Cook the hushpuppies until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep the cooked hushpuppies warm in an oven while cooking the remaining batter. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer them to a serving dish. Serve with Paula Deen's Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.