Janette's Sometimes-You-Feel-Like-a-Nut-Sometimes-You-Don't Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise and cut across into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 coconut candy bar (recommended: Mounds), finely chopped
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can fat free whipped cream, (recommended: fat free Reddi-whip) for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, adding more water as needed, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and apple and stir in the broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 45 minutes.
Puree the potato/apple/broth mixture in a blender, then stir in the chopped candy and blend. Return the mixture back to the saucepan. Add the milk, sherry, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Copyright 2002, Janette Barber and Christina Deyo, all rights reserved