Chili Sans Beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 pound Mexican-style chorizo, such as El Supremo brand
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stout beer
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- One 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the beef and chorizo and smoosh down. Start breaking up the chunks with a wooden spoon and let sear until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Remove the meat from the pot and leave the fat. Then add the onions, chili powder, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Deglaze with the beer. Cook until the alcohol smell subsides, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the hot sauce, tomatoes, stock and the reserved meat. Simmer until thickened, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.