- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 bottle (about 3/4 cup) IPA beer
- 1 pound cod, cut into 8 hot dog bun-length strips
- 8 hot dog buns (I like a potato bun), split
- 4 slices yellow American cheese, cut in half
- Chipotle Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Chipotle Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a large 12- or 14-inch cast-iron skillet filled halfway up.
Once rested, dunk the fish in the batter, let excess drip off and then gently slide the fish into the oil. Fry until just golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the fish to a wire rack set over a sheet tray and season with salt.
The sandwich build: Lay a piece of American cheese on each bun, set a piece fish on top, then dollop on an even layer of Chipotle Tartar Sauce and sprinkle with red onion.Chipotle Tartar Sauce:
In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, relish, honey, mustard, chipotle and a little hit of the adobo sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and then prepare to want to put this sauce on everything.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro