Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons malted milk powder
- Adult Additions:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 shot white tequila
- Pinch kosher salt
- Kids' Addition:
- Mini marshmallows, for topping
For the base: Add the milk to a medium saucepan, and warm it over medium-low heat until just steaming. Whisk in the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and malt powder. Pour into mugs.
For the adult additions: Whip the cream, sugar, chile powder and cayenne to stiff peaks, using a stand mixer. Add the tequila and salt, and whip to blend. Top mugs of hot chocolate with the chile whipped cream!
For the kids' addition: Top each mug of hot chocolate with a handful of mini marshmallows and enjoy!