- 2 pounds ground beef, chuck preferred
- 1 cup shredded Swiss
- 1/2 cup toasted rye bread, processed into fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup 1000 island dressing
- 12 slider buns, buttered and griddled
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix the beef, cheese, breadcrumbs, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, eggs and parsley in a bowl until uniform but not overworked. Scoop out a 1/4 cup of the mix and roll into a ball. Repeat to use all of the meat.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat add the oil. Fry the first side of the meatballs, in batches if necessary, until golden and crusty, 7 to 8 minutes. Flip and place in the oven to finish cooking, until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 more minutes.
Sandwich Build: Heat the kraut in a small saucepot and mix in the 1000 island. Place a meatball on the bottom slider bun, top with the kraut/sauce mixture, top and skewer. Enjoy with all your closest and most respected friends.