Kasha and Varnishkes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced trimmed creminis (stems removed before slicing)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup kasha (whole or coarse)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups beef stock, chicken stock, vegetable stock, or liquid from simmering 1/2 ounce of dried porcini mushrooms in 2 1/2 cups water, or, if all else is unavailable, water
- 1/2 pound bowties, cooked according to package instructions
Heat oil, then saute onions until soft. Add carrots and saute until the onions take on some color. Add mushrooms, then garlic. Saute for 2 more minutes. Meanwhile, mix kasha with eggs and seasonings. Add the kasha egg mixture to the saute pan with the vegetables and cook over medium heat until dry looking and kernels separate. Add stock and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed and kasha is tender, about 12 minutes,. Mix in bowties. Serve with ketchup and/or gravy.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.