The proportion of apple to fennel to celery doesn't make much difference. If you think you can't talk your family into fennel, start with more apple and celery. Up the fennel next time. For a heartier meal, serve this with a 4-ounce piece of pan-seared chicken or fish.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse grained salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 large apples, julienned
- 1 medium head fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped or more to taste
In a large non-reactive bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the apples, fennel, celery and cilantro. Toss until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.