- 2 (1-pound) boxes firm tofu
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, minced
- 3/4 cup kecap manis (see Cook's Note)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh lemongrass
- Vegetable, canola or grapeseed oil
- Chili sauce, for serving, optional
- Rice and your favorite vegetable, for serving
The tofu should be drained of water, and then each block cut into 3 rectangles in the longest direction. Each rectangle can then be cut on the diagonal to form 2 triangles each. Place in a shallow pan. Mix together the lime leaves, kecap manis, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice and lemongrass. Pour the marinade over the tofu and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Pat it dry so it doesn't splatter in the pan. Coat the bottom of a nonstick pan with oil over medium-high heat and saute until the tofu is golden brown on both sides and barely crispy around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. The sugars in the marinade will affect the rate of browning, so if the tofu seems to be getting dark too fast, it's ok to lower the heat to ensure that it will be hot all the way through.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.