Light Shepherd's Pie
- 1 1/4 pounds small red-skinned potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound 90 percent lean ground beef sirloin
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- 1/3 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Put the potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and add 2 tablespoons water; cover and microwave until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, until ready to mash. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, tomatoes, 3/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, beef, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the peas and 1/4 cup water; simmer 2 minutes. Spread over the vegetables in the baking dish, then cover to keep warm.
Per serving: Calories 448; Fat 19 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 77 mg; Sodium 847 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 32 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.