1. For the topping: Put the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover by about 1 inch, add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes
2. For the filling: Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often ,until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes and broth. Cook, stirring often, until reduced and thickened, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the meat from the chicken, discarding all skin and bones. Cut or shred the meat into small pieces. (You should have about 2 cups.)
4. Stir the chicken and spinach into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart casserole dish or 4 to 6 individual oven safe ramekins.
5. Drain the potatoes well and force through a ricer or food mill. (You should have about 2 cups). Add the remaining 4 tablespoon butter, the cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg yolk. Spread the potatoes over the chicken or transfer to a large pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe evenly over the chicken. Bake until the topping is lightly browned, and the chicken is heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Check Out Our
Get a sneak-peek of the new Food Network recipe page and give us your feedback.See it Now!