- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 morita or pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir until coated with the butter, 1 minute. Add the broth, cover, and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until all of the broth has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a medium bowl.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the same pan. Add the green onions, chiles, and pine nuts. Saute until the nuts are toasted and the chiles are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, return the Brussels sprouts to the pan, and toss to coat them with the cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.